The following guidance is only applicable if you're repeating any part of your course other than, or in addition to, your final placement. If your additional studies relate to your final placement only, you should check our guidance on extended funding instead to see if this could apply to you.

Undergraduate course students

Additional funding to repeat part of your course isn't available under any circumstances. This is because the undergraduate bursary is paid as a one-off incentive to train and you have recourse to other forms of income, such as a student loan.

Postgraduate course students

Additional funding if you're required to repeat part of your course is only available in exceptional circumstances.

You must be able to demonstrate that you've failed to pass a required module or academic year due to compelling personal reasons, such as you've had a serious illness / injury which required time away from your course or you experienced bereavement due to the death of a close family member.

If we're satisfied you're having to repeat due to one of these reasons you may be eligible for continued funding for the required period. Academic failure on it's own where there were no serious mitigating circumstances won't be considered as a reason for repeat funding.

If you're only eligible to receive the Placement Travel Allowance (PTA), repeat funding isn't available regardless of your circumstances.

To be considered as eligible for repeat funding, you must also satisfy the following:

  • You're required by your university / college to repeat all or part of an academic year; and
  • You've been in receipt of a postgraduate bursary (not just the PTA) in the academic year prior to the year in which you're repeating; and
  • You're attending an approved postgraduate social work course.

Please note, repeat funding won't be available if you're only required to resubmit course work or resit exams without attending classes.

How to apply

You should upload details of your individual circumstances with your new academic year bursary application. You can also request your university sends us confirmation of the exceptional circumstances that led to your repeat, although we'll contact them once we receive your application if needed.

The final decision will be made by us and not your university.

Possible funding available

Repeat funding is available for eligible full and part time students for up to a maximum of one additional year.

However, the funding available only consists of the income assessed bursary elements and help towards tuition fees. The income assessed elements are:

  • Maintenance Grant
  • Adult Dependants Allowance (ADA)
  • Childcare Allowance (CCA)
  • Parent's Learning Allowance (PLA)

The non-income assessed Basic Award is intended as a one-off incentive for each study year, therefore, it's not available if you're repeating any part of your course.

Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs)

DSAs funding may also be available if you're eligible to receive additional funding as a result of repeat attendance. If applicable, you must complete a new DSA application form and upload this to your MyFunding account.

Comments (0)