A deferred benefits claim form (AW8P) is a form used to apply for your pension benefits and should be completed in the following circumstances:
- If you have left NHS employment altogether and are claiming NHS Pension Scheme benefits.
- If you have been accepted for ill health retirement and your pension benefits are currently deferred.
- If you have had a refund of contributions prior to 1 April 1978, and subsequently built up less than two years membership in the Scheme.
- If you are currently in NHS employment and fall into one of the below categories:
- You have membership in the 1995 and 2008 Sections and are claiming your 1995 Section benefits only.
- You have membership in the 1995/2008 Scheme and 2015 Scheme and are claiming your 1995 Section or 2008 Section benefits only.
- You have membership in the 1995 Section and 2015 Scheme and had a break of more than five years in your membership ending on or after 1 August 2008 and are claiming your 1995 Section benefits only.
- If you are a male member who is already in receipt of your Special Class benefits and requested to defer your pre 17 May 1990 membership and are now claiming those benefits.
It is important that you complete all relevant of parts of the form, including any relevant National Insurance numbers, and return the form to NHS Pensions together with any relevant certificates. Only original or certified copies of original documents are acceptable. Guidance notes are included at the back of the form.
We request that you send the completed application form at least 3 months prior to retirement. We aim to pay your lump sum (if applicable) on the day following retirement, however the lump sum payment can take up to 30 calendar days following your retirement (or from the date at which NHS Pensions received all the information required to process your award if this was later). Your pension will be paid one calendar month after your retirement date (or from the date at which NHS Pensions received all the information required to process your award if this was later). We will notify you of the benefits you will receive and when they will be paid.
You can view the AW8P online and find further information to confirm the AW8P is the correct form to complete at the NHS Pensions website.