If you moved to the UK on or after 1 January 2021 and have an S1 form issued by EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you might be able to get a refund of your IHS payment.

Contact our helpdesk to request a refund.

You can also apply for a refund for any dependants named on your S1 if you paid for their IHS. However, if the dependant paid for their own IHS they must apply for a refund separately.

Your S1 must be registered with the Overseas Healthcare Services to be valid. If you have not registered your S1 yet, email

You may be able to claim a refund of your IHS if you’re:

  • working in Health and Social Care
  • in full time higher education in the UK

You can apply for a reimbursement online if you work in Health and Social Care.

If you can claim due to being in full time higher education in the UK or need any further help, contact the Immigration Health Surcharge helpline at:

Telephone: 0300 330 7693


If you think you may be eligible for any other reason, contact UKVI.