You’ll be asked to provide a number to identify who you are when you apply for a UK GHIC or UK EHIC.

To do this, you need to provide your National Insurance (NI) number on your application.

Find information about how to find a lost NI number on GOV.UK.

No NI number

If you're a main applicant or a dependant of someone who is eligible for a UK GHIC, and over 16 years old, you must provide your NI number when making an application online.

If you do not have NI number, you will be unable to make an application online.

If you’re applying for a UK GHIC, email your application to

If you’re applying for a UK EHIC, email your application to

Include in your email:

  • your name
  • your date of birth
  • your permanent UK address including postcode
  • telephone number
  • email address
  • your nationality
  • country of birth
  • if you have healthcare cover from another country besides the UK, such as having an S1, E121, E106 or E109
  • if you were ordinarily resident in the UK on or before the 31 December 2020
  • if you plan to permanently move to another country in the next five years, if so, the date you plan to start living in another country
  • the reason you do not have an NI number
  • if you’re going to live abroad, the address if known

If you're studying abroad, you must also provide information on your course.

This must be provided on letter headed paper and stamped by the educational institution:

  • name and address of the educational institution
  • qualification you're studying for
  • the start and end date of your course
  • dates of study period abroad

EU Settlement Scheme check

When completing your details for an EU Settlement Scheme check, you will need to provide your NHS number.

Find your NHS number online.

If you’re unable to provide your NHS number, you can provide one of the following:

If you live in Scotland

You can provide your Community Health Index (CHI) number.

If you live in Northern Ireland

You can provide your Health and Care Number (HCN).