You may be entitled to help with your NHS health costs if you get UC.

Who is entitled to help

You’re entitled to help with your NHS health costs if your total take-home pay in your last assessment period was either:

  • £435 or less
  • £935 or less if you get an element for a child or have limited capability for work

If you claim UC as a couple, the earnings limit applies to the joint income of you and your partner.

Your earnings are shown on your statement as 'Your total take-home pay for this period'.

Any dependants aged 19 and under who are included in your UC award will also get the same help.

Assessment period for free dental treatment

Your assessment period must be the full assessment period that ended before the first day of the course of treatment.

Assessment period for free prescriptions

Your assessment period must be the last full assessment period that ends before the start of the prescribed date.

What you'll get

If you’re entitled to help through your UC you'll get:

  • free NHS prescriptions
  • free NHS dental treatment
  • free NHS sight tests
  • free NHS wigs and fabric supports
  • help towards the cost of glasses or contact lenses
  • help towards travel costs to receive NHS treatment

Claiming a refund

If you're unsure about your entitlement or expect to be entitled in future, you must pay for your health costs.

You can claim a refund if you meet the qualifying criteria in the following assessment period.

Check what help you could get to pay for NHS costs and apply online.

Comments (0)